Ambler Farm Day has become a fall tradition in Wilton. This year it will be held Sunday, Oct. 6, 12-4 p.m. Organizers say the event is only a success because countless volunteers contribute their time and efforts to make the day run without a hitch. One traditional–and fun–way to get involved as a volunteer is to help in the baked goods arena. As Ambler Farm organizers put it, “Now’s your chance to catch up with friends while you peel apples, or teach your kids grandma’s cookie recipe–all while supporting a beloved Wilton institution.”
They’re asking for help to make this year’s Ambler Farm Day sweeter than ever in the following areas:
• Join in the Ambler Farm Bake-a-thon at the White Barn on Friday, Oct. 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. as volunteers bake dozens of apple pies for the Pie Stand. Peel and slice apples (bring-your-own-peeler/knife, please) or help assemble pies under the guidance of Mary Kimberlin, expert pie maker. No experience required. Stay for the whole day, the morning/afternoon, or just drop by for an hour to help.
• Donate a homemade dessert or pie for the Bake Sale. If you love to bake cookies, cupcakes (with sprinkles!), brownies, candy apples, caramel apples, fresh breads, muffins or pies, please consider helping out with contributed baked goods.
- Please include an ingredient list to go with each item, and individually wrap the items (about 3 cookies or 2 big brownies to a bag). Cupcakes can be individually boxed (wrapping may mess frosting), or just bring what you make to the farm to be packaged there. Family-sized treats are also needed.
- Pies and baked goods can be dropped off Saturday, Oct. 5 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Ambler Farm’s White Barn. They can also be dropped off curbside the day of the event from 10-11:30 a.m. at the Hurlbutt Road entrance to the farm.
• Help staff the bake sale and pie stands during shifts throughout Ambler Farm Day on Sunday. Four volunteers (teens are welcome too!) are needed for each time slot. (10-11:30 a.m.; 11 a.m.-12 noon; 12-1 p.m.; 1-2 p.m.; 2-3 p.m.; 3-4 p.m.)
To volunteer for bake-a-thon, contact Amy McWhorter, 203.210.5415, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To donate a homemade dessert or pie, contact Robin Clune, 203.762.1095, email@example.com.
To staff the bake sale and pie stands, contact Sue Totten, 203.762.5796, firstname.lastname@example.org.