- This event has passed.
Wilton CERT Disaster Preparedness Training
October 15 - November 10Free
Wilton’s volunteer Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), in conjunction with the Wilton Department of Emergency Management, has announced their annual disaster preparedness training program. Citizens are invited to become trained to help family, friends and neighbors in the event of an emergency or disaster. CERT instructors, certified by the Connecticut Division of Emergency Management and Homeland Security along with other instructors from Police, Fire and EMS, will assist in the training.
The class is open to all members of the community, ages 16 or older that have an interest in learning more about Disaster Preparedness to help their own families, friends and/or community, in the event of a disaster.
The initial training is conducted over 20 hours via six sessions starting on Monday, Oct. 15 and will continue through Saturday, Nov. 10. Training will cover the following areas in a combination of classroom and field practical exercises:
- Disaster Preparedness
- Disaster Medical Operations
- CERT Organization
- Fire Safety; Search and Rescue (SAR)
- Disaster Psychology: Terrorism & CERT
All classes will be held in Wilton at a combination of different venues as follows:
- Monday, Oct. 15, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. at either Comstock Community Center or Wilton Fire HQ (TBD)
- Monday, Oct. 22, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. at either Comstock Community Center or Wilton Fire HQ (TBD)
- Saturday, Oct. 27, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. at Wilton Fire HQ & Town Hall Annex, 238 Danbury Rd.
- Monday, Oct. 29, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. at either Comstock Community Center or Wilton Fire HQ (TBD)
- Monday, Nov. 5, 7 p.m.-10 p.m. at either Comstock Community Center or Wilton Fire HQ (TBD)
- Saturday, Nov. 10, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. at Wilton Fire HQ & Town Hall Annex, 238 Danbury Rd.
Manuals will be provided to all participants and there is no charge for this class.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants 18 or older have the opportunity to volunteer as members of Wilton CERT. Members of Wilton CERT are provided with a backpack with basic disaster gear and a Town Identification Card.
Wilton CERT, as part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), regularly provides assistance to first responders at large emergency incidents or public events. Wilton CERT has performed a broad range of deployment activities, including missing persons searches, traffic and crowd control duties and staffing Wilton’s emergency shelter and distributing emergency food and water.
All participants must be registered in advance as FEMA strictly limits class sizes. Interested participants may register by email to John Stewart or via the Wilton CERT website (click on Calendar of Events at top left).
- October 15
- November 10
- Event Categories:
- Class, Community Events, Free, Volunteer Opportunity
- Event Tags:
- community, Comstock, ct, Emergency Operations, Good Stuff to Do, Letter to the Editor, terrorism, volunteer, Wilton, wilton ct, Wilton Fire Department, Wilton Newcomers, Wilton Police Department, Wilton Volunteer Ambulance Corps
- Is this event
- Free, Not For Profit
- Brian McDermott