Despite delaying approval until the last hour, on Monday night, Apr. 7, the Board of Selectmen indicated full support for the $1.65 million Middlebrook School tile and light replacement project.

The unanimous vote followed a decision last week to delay approval until more information could be provided, heightening concern among school officials that funding for the project was potentially in jeopardy.

On Thursday, Apr. 3, Superintendent Kevin Smith expressed strong concern and confusion to the Board of Education about the BOS’s decision on April 2 to delay the vote, though it endorsed nine other capital projects totalling $7.9 million that night.

It was originally unclear whether the project, which involves replacing floor and ceiling tiles and lighting, was qualified for bonding. Smith confidently stated that he believed it was, having heard comments from the town’s bond counsel, and he was unclear why the matter was being delayed.

“I have questions about what led to the tabling … This should be a no-brainer,” he told the BOE last week.

Board of Education Chair Ruth DeLuca made an appearance at Monday’s BOS meeting, voicing her support.

“Given the particular needs of the middle school and other work being done at the middle school this summer, it is appropriate to focus this bonding request on Middlebrook,” she said.

DeLuca noted that a tri-board needs-assessment meeting took place on Nov. 27, 2023, at which the Boards of Finance, Education and Selectmen were made aware of extensive infrastructure work that was sorely needed, along with a first step in planning put forward by then-First Selectwoman Lynne Vanderslice.

“The proposal suggested a capacity of a little over $11 million for 2026,” DeLuca said, based on the town’s bonding ability and a set of needs put forth by the town’s Town and Schools Needs Assessment Priorities Committee (TSNAP), which prioritized this particular Middlebrook project at number four on its list of recommendations.

BOS Members Defend the Delayed Decision

Just prior to Monday night’s vote, BOS members tried to emphasize that they weren’t opposed to funding the work.

“I’d just like to say we held this over so we could get the additional information,” Selectman Bas Nabulsi said. “There was nothing about our last meeting where any of us were ever leaning against not approving this.”

Selectwoman Kim Healy, addressing both school officials as well as staff from the Department of Public Works who provided additional information, also sought to defend the delay so they could see more data.

“I think you guys need to understand, if you followed our meeting, we wanted to get this done and we wanted to make sure it got done right,” she said, “and we wanted to give you the full amount, as much as we could reasonably, so you could get moving on this”

She said that backup material on the project had been incomplete.

“The backup we were given only (had) floor,” Healy said. “It did not mention any of these other items,” including labor costs, ceiling materials and light fixtures.

“I realize it was a lot of extra work, but I think it gives us a good idea of what we’re looking at doing,” she said.

DPW Director Frank Smeriglio was on hand to present details, along with DPW assistant director Jeff Pardo.

They explained that $600,000 was already allocated toward the work to be spent in Fiscal Year 2025, but there could be savings this year, as some of the school’s carpentry crew may be able to complete some of the ceiling work at a cheaper cost.

“That’s like a huge savings to the town because you’re going to pay those carpenters anyway … and we’re not paying a contractor prevailing wages to do those ceilings,” Pardo said.

He said, however, that it was still unclear whether the WPS staff members would be able to handle the entire job.

“My concern is you’ve (only) got two guys… I don’t know if they can do all the work. I think we’re still gonna need the contractors, BMP Construction,” Pardo said.

Smeriglio said the entire $600,000 had to be set aside in case it’s needed.

“The aim here is to make sure that we put in the full amount that is suggested … but it’s uncertain at this time,” he said.

The full amount recommended for bonding for Fiscal Year 2026 is $1,646,314, which would be parceled out through Fiscal Year 2027, when the work is expected to be completed.

After some concerns were previously expressed about TSNAP’s role, DeLuca put in a plug for another joint meeting between the three relevant boards.

“I also recommend that we convene a tri-board meeting to discuss and clarify the next five years of school bonding infrastructure needs and financing,” she said. “Given the scope of work that stands before us, having a shared understanding and commitment to a five-year plan would serve us both and the town well.”