Sixteen Cider Mill 5th graders will participate in the Wilton Education Foundation‘s (WEF) ninth annual “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” fundraiser this Friday, March 22, starting at 7 p.m..
Over 100 fifth graders took a qualifying exam to become student contestants, and the four top scorers in each house were selected as representatives:
- Belden Hill: Boden Davi, Liam Joy, Quinn Mitchell, and Sebastian Chiu
- Cannondale: Reed O’Neill, Emma Roos, Joseph Aversano, and Chloe DuBrock
- Kent: Melinda Pettit, Gabe Rutkowski, Michelle Yabalkarov, and Bhriti Walia
- Nod Hill: Evan Christianson, Anna Reiter, Brianna Hekle, and Polina Popova
New this year, Middlebrook teachers Tom Koch and John Priest will emcee the show, as the 16 fifth graders take the stage to assist the four celebrity contestants in answering questions derived from the elementary school’s curriculum. The Wilton celebrities squaring off and testing their knowledge include:
- Gail Lavielle – Connecticut State Representative
- Will Haskell – Connecticut State Senator
- Ava Kaplan – Wilton High School Student Body Government Executive Board President
- George Murphy – Wilton High School Student Body Government Senior Class President
“Now in our ninth year, the ‘Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?’ program is a great way to showcase our administration, educators, and students. This is going to be a great show, we’re looking forward to our community coming out and supporting the students and contestants,” says Mike Whitman, WEF’s chair of the event.
This year, “Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?” will take place in the auditorium at Middlebrook School. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and parent supervision is required for students in the sixth grade and younger.
Premium reserved seating is available at $25 per seat; general admission is $10 for students and $15 for adults. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online.