“FIRST UP” on GMW: Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019
You liked ‘FIRST UP’! We debuted this new feature yesterday, and already it’s one of the top-read stories. This column will run frequently each week, highlighting shorter announcements or updates, and help you get a quick start to the Wilton news of the day.
Have a news tip, item or something you know people are chattering about? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wilton Police Praise Residents for Drop in Car Break-Ins–”‘Lock It or Lose It’ Works”
Wilton Police offered praise for town residents on Facebook, applauding them for heeding advice to prevent car theft and break-ins. Thanks to residents doing a better job of locking their cars, Wilton saw no thefts from cars or stolen vehicles in the month of December–despite similar activity still happening around the state.
“WILTON YOU DID IT! LOCK IT OR LOSE IT works,” they wrote on Facebook, adding, “A great way to end the year!”
The post also credited proactive community patrols by officers with deterring criminal activity through visibility and enforcement, and thanked business owner Peg Koellmer and her Realty Seven team as well as Wilton CERT for supporting the effort.
Village District Design Committee Adds Twist for Wilton Heights
The Village District Design Committee met on Dec. 18, 2018 and among the agenda items, discussed the Wilton Heights, LLC redevelopment project proposal for 300 Danbury Rd..
During the meeting, developer Paxton Kinol explained that following feedback from the Planning and Zoning Commission about a lack of design boldness, his team created an alternative design scheme. The Village District Design Committee had previously been critical about the project design being too eclectic and not traditionally historic enough; in contrast the committee members were generally more positive about the new designs Kinol showed. Wilton may get something a bit more contemporary for this very visible spot pegged to be a ‘new gateway’ for Wilton Center.
We’ll have more details tomorrow…
Town Hall Meeting Calendar
Check out the complete meeting calendar on the Town Website. Upcoming committee and board meetings of interest:
- Monday, Jan. 7: Board of Selectmen (8 p.m., Town Hall room B)
- Tuesday, Jan. 8: Village District Design Consultant Committee Special Meeting (4 p.m., Town Hall Annex meeting room A)–Wilton Heights, LLC is the only discussion item on the agenda, to continue review of the project’s alternative design changes.
- Tuesday, Jan. 8: Conservation Commission (7 p.m., Town Hall Annex meeting room A)
- Tuesday, Jan. 8: Historic District and Historic Properties Commission (7:30 p.m., Town Hall Annex meeting room A)
- Wednesday, Jan. 9: Tree Committee (5 p.m., Town Hall Annex meeting room A)
- Wednesday, Jan. 9: Water Pollution Control Authority (6 p.m., Town Hall room B)
- Wednesday, Jan. 9: Economic Development Commission (7:15 p.m., Comstock Community Center, Rm. 18)
- Wednesday, Jan. 9: Parks and Recreation Commission (7:30 p.m., Comstock Community Center)
- Thursday, Jan. 10: Social Services Commission (6 p.m., Comstock Community Center)
- Thursday, Jan. 10: Inland Wetlands Commission (7:30 p.m., Town Hall Annex meeting room A)