When disaster strikes, will you be ready?
Wilton’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program helps train and equip citizens to be prepared to help themselves, their neighbors and the community in the event of a disaster, crisis or common emergency.
Wilton CERT, in conjunction with New Canaan CERT, will be conducting its annual Basic CERT Training Program. The class is open to all members of the community, age 16 or older, that have an interest in learning more about disaster preparedness to help their own families, friends and community in the event of a disaster.
The initial training is conducted over six sessions, meeting periodically between Wednesday, Oct. 12 and Saturday, Nov. 5. Participants are required to make at least five classes for certification, but attendance at all six classes is preferred. Manuals will be provided to all participants and there is no charge for this class.
Training will cover the following areas:
- Introduction to Disaster Preparedness
- Emergency Medical Operations
- Incident Command, Team Organization
- Disaster Psychology
- Terrorism and Sheltering in Place
- Fire Suppression and Light Search and Rescue
Upon successful completion of the course, participants have the opportunity to volunteer as members of Wilton CERT. All Wilton CERT members are provided with a backpack with basic disaster gear and a town identification card. Graduates of CERT Training will also be offered CPR and AED skills training at no charge.
Classes are held at different venues within New Canaan and Wilton as follows:
- Wednesday, Oct. 12, 7-10 p.m.: Wilton, Comstock Community Center (180 School Rd.)
- Wednesday, Oct. 19, 7-10 p.m.: New Canaan, TBD
- Saturday, Oct. 22, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.: Wilton, Fire Department Headquarters and Town Annex (236-238 Danbury Rd.)
- Wednesday, Oct 26, 7-10 p.m.: New Canaan, TBD
- Wednesday, Nov. 2, 7-10 p.m.: Wilton, Comstock Community Center
- Saturday, Nov. 5, 8 a.m.-12 p.m.: New Canaan, TBD
Advance registration is mandatory, as FEMA strictly limits the class size. Interested participants may register via email with CERT’s director of training, John Stewart.
For additional information about registration and the program, visit the Wilton CERT website.