As Eversource completes the installation of another section of the natural gas system in town, we wanted to familiarize you with the fuel.

Natural gas is non-toxic. As it is colorless, tasteless, and odorless, a distinctive, pungent odor, similar to rotten eggs, is added so that you can recognize it easily and know if natural gas may be escaping from the system.

What To Do If You Suspect a Natural Gas Leak:

  • Evacuate and isolate the area
  • Call 9-1-1 for a Fire Department response
  • Abandon any equipment being used in or near the leak
  • Avoid open flames, sparks etc.
  • Do not use cell phones, radios or other portable devices in the vicinity of the leak
  • Do not turn electrical equipment, lights, etc. on or off
  • Do not start or run any motor vehicles in the vicinity of the leak
  • Do not attempt to extinguish a natural gas fed fire

Signs Of A Natural Gas Leak:

  • Blowing or hissing sound
  • Gaseous or “rotten egg” odor
  • Flames emanating from the ground or a pipe joint or crack
  • Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
  • Dust/dirt blowing from a hole in the ground
  • Continuous bubbling in a wet or flooded area

For any questions or if you need further information, please call Fire Department Headquarters at 203.834.6246 or the Office of the Fire Marshal at 203.834.6249.

Eversource also has natural gas safety tips online.