Two Wilton High School sophomores have set a lofty fundraising goal, hoping to raise $10,000 on behalf of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).
Jenna Bonafide and Donatella Scaturchio are taking part in the “Students of the Year” effort, a seven-week campaign that is a “friendly competition” to raise $10,000 before March 12 for LLS, through various fundraisers, raffles and online donations.
The society’s work has personal meaning for Donatella, who has family members who have been affected by this type of cancer.
“It’s an honor to be part of such an outstanding group of wonderful students, but an even larger honor to be able to work for the patients, survivors, and their families,” the girls wrote on their fundraising page. “We decided to back LLS because we believe that no one should have to suffer through these cancers anymore.”
Through this program, the girls are eligible to be awarded college scholarships, all while raising awareness and funds for such an important cause. Jenna and Donatella are the only Wilton students taking part in the program this year.
Among the upcoming events the duo has organized are:
- Bake sale and raffle basket at Village Market (Saturday, Feb. 22, 1-5 p.m.)
- Restaurant Night at Wilton Pizza: 15% of sales with flier will be donated to their campaign (Saturday, Feb. 22 and Sunday, Feb. 23)
- Donations taken after masses at Our Lady of Fatima Church (Saturday, Feb. 22 and Sunday, Feb. 23)
- Restaurant Night at Bianco Rosso: 10% of sales with mention of LLS will be donated to their campaign (Wednesday, Feb. 26)
- Raffle basket sale and drawing at Conservatory of Dance Competition Dance Showcase held at Wilton High School (winner does not need to be present) – (Sunday, Feb. 29)
For more information visit the pair’s online fundraising page.