The Wilton Family YMCA will hold evaluations for its 2020-2021 Wilton Y Wahoos Swim Team on Wednesday, Aug. 26 and Thursday, Aug. 27. The evaluations are open to children of all ages and will take place at the Wilton Family YMCA branch in the 50-meter outdoor pool.
Swimmers are asked to attend the appropriate date at any point during the posted timeframe. Times and criteria are as follows:
- Children ages 10-and-under will be evaluated between 3-5 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 26
- Children of all ages (6-18 years) will be evaluated from 3-5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 27
The evaluation process will consist of the following:
- Filling out the Tryout and Registration Form (only pre-registered swimmers will be allowed to try out)
- A short, in-water session (approximately 5-10 minutes) in which the coaches will evaluate the skill level of each swimmer
- The coaches will answer any questions or concerns families may have regarding the program and/or the evaluation process.
The Wilton Y Wahoos have over 40 years of tradition of swimming excellence and is a widely respected swim team for swimmers of all ages and all levels of ability, from beginners through Olympic competitors. The Wilton Y Wahoos are both a YMCA team and a USA Swimming team competing in meets organized by CT Swimming, a subset of USA Swimming. Wahoo swimmers come from over 22 towns in southwestern Connecticut and Westchester County. In all, 25 Wahoos have competed at Olympic Trials, including 1988 Olympic Silver Medalist Janel Jorgensen.
Team coaches say that the Wilton Y Wahoos swim team “functions not only as a team but a family of supportive members that encourage and guide each other.”
“As a competitive swim program, our goal is to offer a high-quality program that enables swimmers to develop self-confidence, self-respect and an appreciation of their own worth as individuals,” said Todd Stevens, Director of Competitive Aquatics. “With over 100 years combined swim team experience the coaching staff endeavors to teach, train, and motivate young people to achieve their ultimate potential in swimming in the belief that this experience will prove valuable to them as they grow as responsible members of their families and citizens of their communities.”
To get involved in competitive swimming, contact Jo Ann McCaffrey, Wahoos office manager at via email or by calling 203.762.8384, ext. 249.