The Wilton Conservation Commission will be sponsoring Wilton’s Annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day on Saturday, Oct. 26 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Miller-Driscoll School parking lotThis event enables Wilton residents to safely dispose of unwanted household hazardous waste by bringing it to the collection where a certified hazardous waste contractor will provide appropriate and responsible disposal of the unwanted products.

Nearly all households contain some household hazardous waste (HHW). HHW is generally defined as a household waste that is corrosive (such as acids and alkalis), flammable, reactive or toxic (poisonous).  Common HHW includes oil-based paints, thinners, pool chemicals, pesticides, mercury thermometers, and gasoline. When these products are no longer wanted or needed, they become hazardous waste and must be disposed of responsibly and safely so that they do not lead to personal injury and do not enter the food chain or contaminate drinking water supplies.  Although the federal regulations do not prohibit a homeowner from disposing of hazardous waste in the garbage, household hazardous waste collection programs provide an opportunity to manage these wastes in an environmentally safe manner.

Common household products that should not end up in our household trash and will be accepted at the event include:            

Aerosol Cans (not empty)


Arts/Craft Supplies

Asphalt/Roof Sealer

Bathroom Cleaners

Brake Fluid

Chemical Fertilizers

Chemistry Kits    

Furniture/Car Polish


Hair Dyes & Sprays


Metal Polish

Moth Balls

Nail Polish/Remover

Oven Cleaners

Paint – Oil base/Stains

Paint Strippers/Thinners



Drain Cleaners

Flea Powders/Sprays


Photo Chemicals

Pool Chemicals

Rodent Poison


Tile/Toilet Cleaners

Transmission Fluid




Floor Care Products

This event is for the collection of household hazardous waste only.  Water-based latex (acrylic) paint and electronics will not be accepted. 

The collection is open to all Wilton residents, as well as residents of Norwalk, Darien, Greenwich, Stamford, Weston and Westport.  Proof of residency (a driver’s license) is required.  For more information, contact the Wilton Department of Environmental Affairs at (203) 563-0180.