Every year, the Wilton Fire Department helps Santa get around town, especially for the annual tree lighting at Wilton’s Holiday Stroll. They pitched in again to help Santa pay a visit to the Lake Club last weekend, where over 100 people waited to see him.
To thank the firefighters for their time and willingness to help Santa make his appointed stop at the Lake Club, the Lake Club arranged for Santa to visit the Fire Department in return — and deliver a cake to say ‘Thank you’ for their help this season.
Ho-Ho-Holiday Fire Safety
Holidays were on the minds of the Wilton Fire Department this month when they offered several safety tips to keep in mind for a safe and happy holiday season.
- Before natural trees are set up, the trunk should be sawed off above the original cut. This initial fresh cut opens up the sap channels in the tree so that it can take up water. Keep your tree stand water level above the cut in the trunk to prevent the tree from forming a sap seal. A sap sealed trunk will not draw the water needed for it to remain fresh and resist burning.
- All trees should be held upright in sturdy stands having a base that is sufficiently broad to effectively support the tree. Guy wires may be needed to steady oversized trees.
- Natural trees having root balls should be moistened daily and cut natural trees should be placed in containers of water sufficient to provide at least a one day supply. A container holding at least 1 quart per inch in stem diameter is recommended.
- Natural trees should remain indoors only for as long as they remain fresh. Cut trees are thirsty! Depending on tree size, they may use from two pints to one and a half gallons per day. Make sure to check the water level daily and supply fresh water as needed. Remove any tree that shows evidence of drying or severe shedding.
- Trees and other combustible decorations should be located a safe distance from sources of heat such as heaters, fireplaces, stoves, candles and the like. Never decorate your tree with candles!
- Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires can also cause holiday-related accidents. Worn-out electrical cords and plugs should be replaced. Avoid too many plugs in one outlet. Use multi-outlet power strips when running many applications or decorative lights.
- All sources of electric lighting should be in good condition and consist of equipment that has been tested and listed for the specific purpose by a recognized testing laboratory. All lighting should be turned off or better yet, disconnected, when unattended.
Call the Wilton Fire Department at 203.834.6249 with any questions.
From all of us here at the Fire Department, Happy Holidays!