Parks & Rec Schedules Parent Info Meeting for New After School Childcare Program
Following news that the Wilton School District‘s after school childcare program filled to capacity only one hour after becoming available, Wilton town officials regrouped quickly to create a program that would help fill demand. First Selectwoman Lynne Vanderslice and Parks & Recreation director Steve Pierce collaborated to begin offering after school programming beginning in September for the new school year, and have now scheduled an information meeting for parents.
Parents can learn more at a meeting on Wednesday, June 5 at 7 p.m. at the Comstock Community Center, Room 12. Officials will offer recreation programs for children during the meeting for families that will bring children to the meeting. A tour will be made available as part of Wednesday evening’s program.
Program details are still being firmed up, including cost and program content, according to an announcement Pierce released last week. He said parent input would be appreciated “to help us make this a successful experience for your child,” and noted that he “feel[s] confident we will be able to keep the cost similar to those of other offerings in the area.”
The program details that Parks & Rec can specify at this point include:
- The program will follow the school calendar and run daily when school is in session from 2:30-6:30 p.m.
- The program will be split into two classrooms: Grades K-2 and Grades 3-5
- Staff to student ratio will be 1 to 5
- All staff will be certified in CPR/First Aid
- Children may take school buses to Comstock where they will be met at the door by staff
- A healthy snack will be provided daily
- Other Parks & Recreation programs already scheduled in Comstock will be offered to students at a discounted rate
- Activities will include arts and crafts, games, active play, special events and free play
Anyone unable to attend Wednesday’s informational meeting can contact Pierce at 203.834.6234 (ext. 6) or via email to discuss the program or to set up a visit to Comstock to tour the facility.