Once again, the Cannon Grange Fair will host the annual CT Watermelon Eating Championship Event. Open to all ages, the contest starts on Sunday, Aug. 28 at 3:30 p.m..
Like many contests, the rules for this are extensive and precise (who would have thought!):
- Contestants shall compete in their proper age. Judges shall determine final decisions of age
- No contestant can enter in more than one division.
- Decisions of judges shall be final and illrevokable. In case of ties, a second ribbon shall be ordered.
- Speed of eating is the major factor of championships, however, certain emphasis will also be placed on neatness, lack of burping or belching and certain other competitive courtesies – As a reminder this is a genteel sporting event
- Seed spitting shall be done in a straightforward manner. Seeds discharged in any direction or onto other competitor’s slice will be grounds for immediate disqualification.
- No competitor shall ask for, nor receive, any special bathroom privileges until completion
- Any complaint relative to size of melon slice must be lodged with judge prior to start
- Costume or uniform shall be optional. Raincoats, umbrella, rubbers, and galoshes will be permitted. Acceptable also are snorkel, scuba equipment or underwater breathing devices and apparatus.
- Sponsors shall not be held responsible for the after effects of seeds swallowed by any contestant. Contestant must use his/ her own hands to secure melon firmly to table during contest.
- No rising of slice off the table during contest is allowed.
0-10yrs | 11 yrs. and older