Wilton Library’s 4th Annual Innovation Day Celebrates Makers, Tinkerers and Creators
Whether it’s riding around inches above the ground on a Hovercraft or watching Vorpal the Hexapod scurry around on its tiny legs; visiting other lands through virtual reality or taking green screen photos; making spinning tops from old CDs and DVDs or fashioning balloon-powered cars, Innovation Day at Wilton Library promises to be fun for everyone young and old.
This year’s Innovation Day event takes place on Saturday, Oct. 13, from 1 to 5 p.m..
The day is a celebration of all things makers and tinkerers love to be involved in. Some of the fun activities that are planned include:
- Kids can spend time at the Touch Table where they can really get into Oobleck and Fluffy Slime
- crafters may want to stop by and create big paper flowers under the guidance and expertise of Betsy Huffman (designer of all the wonderful creations found at the library’s annual Spring Benefits)
- Carolina Asmussen will provide a quilting demo using the technique of English Paper Piecing
- origami creations can be made by paper folders
- using the Cricut die cutter, people can make personalized monogrammed keychains as wonderful gifts
- makers can create Modpodge necklaces and marble magnets
- pumpkin painting with pumpkins donated by Wilton Kiwanis Club will get people into the autumn spirit
- assembling LED flower pins and bow-ties
“This is a day for everyone to come in and try their hands at everything,” said Susan Lauricella, Wilton Library’s manager of the Teen Services and Maker Space areas. “There’s no reason to be shy. All these activities are here to encourage people to get in touch with their inner creative selves. It’s the time and the place to see what’s new in high tech, low-tech and even new spins on old crafts. People can take skills out for a test drive. You never know what might spark a creative passion.”
She gave several other examples of fun that will be on offer. “With a Take-Apart Table, zooming around through virtual reality and seeing a demonstration of the library’s award-winning robotics team, Singularity Technology, there are countless activities and ways in which to spend a fun Saturday afternoon.”
Before, after and during all these activities, two fan-favorite food trucks will be parked in the library’s lot to help people sustain their energies: Bubble & Brew, which brews up ‘specialty teas, bubble teas, coffee and fresh baked goods just like [you wish] your Mom used to bake’; and Christophe’s Crepes, which makes savory and sweet creations that are perfect as snacks or meals.
Admission to Innovation Day is free. There will be nominal fees for certain activities to offset costs. The event sponsor is Ring’s End and the media sponsor is GOOD Morning Wilton.
Wilton Library is located at 137 Old Ridgefield Rd. in Wilton Center. For more information and directions, visit the Wilton Library website or call 203.762.6334.