Thank You Wilton
To the Editor:
Last week was the start of the Wilton/Riverbrook YMCA “Race for Chase” camp and program. It was a special moment because it was the final step that would not have been possible without many volunteers who assisted along the way. Getting over 40 kids properly sized on a bike as well as a helmet then seeing them ride on their way capped a very rewarding experience.
A huge thanks goes out to the following:
- Wilton Police Department: for hosting the bike rehab and tune up session at their headquarters
- Peg Koellmer and Realty Seven: for ongoing leadership and support, including timely food!
- Wilton Families: for donating over 60 new and used bikes
- Bike Mechanics (including Outdoor Sports Center): for volunteering time to fix up the bikes
- Dorel Sports/Cannondale: for donating helmets
I’d like to extend a very sincere thank you to one donor in particular who we are unable to identify but donated a full suspension mountain bike that was truly unique in many ways. Although over 15 years old, the bike was in fantastic condition. Unfortunately it was too large for a typical camper but all was not lost. After some brainstorming and just a few minutes cleaning, it was ready to be photographed. I was able to post the bike for sale and when the auction ended, it sold for $325! The sale marked the first time we were able to sell a bike and then use the proceeds for direct support of the camp and program.
Thank you again Wilton–I look forward to contributing time towards the ongoing success of the program!